About Us

Organization History:

In 1947, the Young Ladies Guild of Sparks Memorial Hospital decided to sponsor an amateur production of the play “Mr. and Mrs. North” as a fund-raiser. That was the beginning of our community theatre.

Productions were staged in local school auditoriums, hotel ballrooms and lecture halls for the next five years. In 1952, the group purchased an old grocery store and renovated it into a theatre-in-the-round with a seating capacity of 150. This building on North “O” Street was home to FSLT until 1986 when the present theatre was completed at 401 North Sixth Street under the aegis of The Center, Inc.

 

Season of Performances:

The season consists of six full-run productions. Each is assigned approximately four rehearsal weeks before providing a minimum of eight performances over two weeks. To obtain proper theatrical licensing, each season is set by the Board of Directors one year in advance. In addition, several short-run off-season shows are offered each year.

 

All Volunteer:

The Fort Smith Little Theatre is an all volunteer organization and has been since it was founded in 1947. All casts and crews are staffed through open public audition. Operating solely through the efforts of volunteers, without any paid employees, FSLT is indeed a theatre by and for the community.

Volunteers are always welcome onstage, backstage and in administrative roles. From answering phones to painting sets, there’s a job for anyone interested in meeting new friends through community theatre.